font-awesome-load
material-design-icons-load
de | en | fr
Register | Favorites (0) | My searches (0) | Basket (0) | Museum Ludwig | FAQ
 
 
  • WORK PHOTO
    Reproduction-no.: ML_SK05133a
    Image credits: Rheinisches Bildarchiv Köln
    Coleman, James (1941), Photograph, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133
  • WORK PHOTO
    Reproduction-no.: ML_SK05133b
    Image credits: Rheinisches Bildarchiv Köln
    Coleman, James (1941), Photograph, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133


  • Shooting date: 19..2.26.0
    --- Picture hidden for legal reasons. ---
    Coleman, James (1941), Photograph, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133


  • Shooting date: 19..2.26.0
    --- Picture hidden for legal reasons. ---
    Coleman, James (1941), Photograph, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133


  • Shooting date: 19..2.26.0
    --- Picture hidden for legal reasons. ---
    Coleman, James (1941), Photograph, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133

Photograph
 1998-99

CD-Player, Pojektor, Lampe, Lautsprecher, Dias
, variabel cm
Köln, Museum Ludwig, Inv.-Nr. ML/SK 5133, Ankauf 30.10.2001  
Hide

Museum Ludwig

Köln, Heinrich-Böll-Platz

On 5 February 1976, husband and wife collectors Irene and Peter Ludwig donated 350 modern artworks from their collection to the city of Cologne and thus laid the foundations for the Museum Ludwig, which was to be a home for art made after 1900. 1986 saw the opening of the ‘twin museum’, which encompassed both the Wallraf-Richartz Museum and the Museum Ludwig, but already by 1994 it was decided to physically separate the two. Apart from the most extensive collection of American Pop Art outside of the USA, the Ludwigs’ donation meant that the museum received absolutely top quality works by the Russian avant-garde from the period between 1905 and 1935. In 1994 came 90 works from their Picasso holdings, followed by 774 more in 2001, meaning that the Museum Ludwig now has the third largest Picasso collection worldwide, only after Barcelona and Paris. Today the Ludwig Collection covers the major approaches in twentieth century and contemporary art.
The basis of the Ludwig Collection was unwittingly created by the Cologne lawyer Dr Josef Haubrich. In 1946 he entrusted the city with his important collection of works by the Expressionists and other representatives of 'classic' modernism. This donation was later transferred to the holdings of the Museum Ludwig.
Since 2000, the Museum Ludwig has been notably involved in collecting and presenting technical media in the contemporary art context. Since 2001 the collection has expanded in the field of contemporary art by the inclusion of key works and integral groups of pieces, and today ranks with its almost 60,580 works among the leading museums for modern and contemporary art in Europe.

http://www.museum-ludwig.de

 

currently not shown in the gallery

Provenance

 as of 07.03.2002, Museum Ludwig, Köln, Owner: Stadt Köln, Inv.-Nr.: ML/SK 5133 (Purchase 30.10.2001)

Literature

Köln ML, 20./21. Jahrhundert, 2018, S. 136 mit Abb.

 
Hide

Museum Ludwig. Kunst 20./21. Jahrhundert, Sammlung Malerei, Skulptur, Neue Medien

edited by Yilmaz Dziewior

edited by Museum Ludwig

Köln 2018

Coleman, James, Barcelona 1999-00, S. 9-25; Farbabb. S. 17, 20, 24

 
Hide

James Coleman

edited by Fundació Antoni Tàpies

Barcelona 1999

KMB: K Colema 7 1999/2000

Museum unserer Wünsche, Köln 2001, S. 88, 201; Farbabb. S. 89

 
Hide

Museum unserer Wünsche

edited by Museum Ludwig

Köln 2001

Gent

Coleman, James, München 2002, S. 72-99; Farbabb. S.75, 78, 81, 8588, 91, 93, 96

 
Hide

James Coleman

edited by Helmut Friedel

edited by Lenbachhaus München

Ostfildern 2002

KMB: K Colema 7 2002

Exhibitions

Coleman, James, Barcelona 1999-00

 
Hide

 28.10.1999-09.01.2000 Barcelona, Fundació Antoni Tàpies

Museum unserer Wünsche, Köln 2001

 
Hide

Museum unserer Wünsche

 01.11.2001-28.04.2002 

Coleman, James, München 2002

 
Hide

James Coleman

 20.04.2002-21.07.2002 München, Lenbachhaus

Further information

• 14 Teile • Gattungsart: Fotoinstallation

     

Permalink: https://museum-ludwig.kulturelles-erbe-koeln.de/documents/obj/05016127
Dok-Nr.: obj 05016127

 
End of caption